#26 04.03.2024 15:26

Belong
King Of Comedy

Re: R.E.M. f�r Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominiert

So wie ich mich kenne, werd ich mir das sicher auch nicht entgehen lassen... wink
Komisch nur, wenn ich auf den angegebenen Link klicke und mir dann das Special �ber REM anschauen m�chte (live im studio), bekomme ich so eine komische Fehlermeldung: unexpected error occured (timezone)... hmm

Ich hoff ja nur, da� die �bertragung dann auch wirklich funktioniert!

One, two, three, four... ready? Go!
R.E.M. Tour 2008: Stuttgart - Loreley - W�rzburg

#27 05.03.2024 10:29

Berlin
Sugar Sweet

Ich hab`s grad probiert und es kommt die gleiche Fehlermeldung, hoffentlich klappt das n�chste Woche, ich m�cht`s auch gern sehen... smile

R.E.M.ember us...

DRESDEN - BERLIN - LORELEY

#28 05.03.2024 20:58

Berlin
Sugar Sweet

Michael Stipe Q&A
By valuing equally the Velvet Underground and the Monkees, the jangling Georgians of R.E.M. proved there could be common ground between the stylistic integrity of the indie world and the commercial appeal of the mainstream. Blockbuster songs such as 'Losing My Religion' and 'Everybody Hurts' made the band the world's biggest for a time in the early 1990s, and their continued insistence on creative adventure has been a model for many of their successors to the pop throne. Singer Michael Stipe talked to Spinner about R.E.M.'s newest label: Hall of Famers.

How did you find out about your Hall of Fame induction?

Myself and [bassist] Mike Mills and Bertis Downs, our manager, had flown to London. [Guitarist] Peter Buck was on tour with Robyn Hitchcock, and we flew over to have an R.E.M. meeting. It was at dinner the Sunday night before the actual announcement was made. We had an idea, but the call came in, and it was kind of exciting.

How did you celebrate?

Well, we went off and saw Robyn perform [laughs]. We raised a few pints after the show.

Patti Smith probably should have been inducted a few years ago, but in hindsight it will look like perfect planning, to have her go in with you guys.

We certainly are very good friends. The influence she's had on my band -- actually, it was a mutual love of her work that brought myself and Peter together. Then he gave me the first Suicide record, and I was like, "Wow, I've never heard anything like this." But it was really Patti's work that got the conversation rolling.

Any thoughts on your other Hall of Fame classmates?

I've never met Grandmaster Flash or Ronnie Spector. At this point, I've met pretty much everyone in the world [laughs], but I've never met those two. Grandmaster Flash obviously set off his own revolution within music. I'm really happy for Van Halen as well. They created one of the soundtracks to the 1980s, although they're a very different band from R.E.M.

It wouldn't be a Hall of Fame career if you didn't have some serious ups and downs over the years, would it?

You're pulling the wool over your own eyes and looking like an idiot to the public if you refuse to acknowledge that there are peaks and valleys to any career that goes on as long as ours has. I think you learn with age and wisdom to ride those, and hopefully learn from them.

Fans have heard stories about the difficulties of making 'Up' in San Francisco or 'Fables of the Reconstruction' in England. How much did the sites you chose impact the records?

Truth be told, the making of 'Up' was a much more difficult journey for us, both personally and as a band, than anything prior or since, simply because [drummer] Bill Berry had chosen to retire from music. And the three of us were putting on a very brave face, kind of soldiering on. What we really should have done was taken six months off to gather our thoughts. I actually like the record, but we created for ourselves an insurmountably difficult period of time trying to finish it. And that had its ripple effects for the next several years.

Which turning points other than Bill's retirement stand out in your mind as crucial to the band's development, for better or worse?

I think the decision at the end of the '80s to stop touring, because we had spent 10 years really . . .

Hammering it?

Yeah [laughs], hammering it. That put us in a unique position, as a fairly young band that was exhausted beyond comprehension. I think that decision to then release our next two albums, which, weirdly enough, became our best-selling records to date -- that decision [not to tour] was a pretty important one. The obvious stuff -- signing our first record label deal with IRS and finding this really dedicated group of people who believed in what we did, and then signing with Warner Bros. and having the luck to work with people like Lenny Waronker and Mo Ostin. We were always very stubborn in terms of what we would not do. The law of negation served us pretty well over the years. The Rule of No -- I think that's what we call it in R.E.M. world.

Your friend Eddie Vedder will be inducting you.

I couldn't be more honored. I'm a great fan, and we're great friends.

If you were speaking on behalf of your own band, how would you induct yourselves?

I've always been pretty bad at what our band might be within the context of pop music. I guess we took a page from Patti in considering this to be our life's work, and allowing other people to figure out what it means beyond that.

Clearly, though, any number of musicians have looked to you as an example.

Well, it feels like a continuum. The people who inspired us, we've met most of them and played shows with or collaborated with most of them. And the people who are in bands -- Radiohead, Coldplay -- who haven't been around quite as long as we have, have gone on to inspire us. That to me is like a great parlor of creative people, swapping ideas.

Instead of sitting after 25 years in your lofty perch.

I don't even know what that means [laughs]. I would be bored if R.E.M. tried to release an album's worth of 'Everybody Hurts' or 'Man on the Moon' or 'What's the Frequency, Kenneth?' We'd much sooner reach a little further than our talents probably allow and fall on our face attempting to do something that's a little bit progressive or forward. The timing [of the induction] could not be more perfect for us, going into the next album and really pushing ourselves, and at the same time being offered this incredible gesture which recognizes the work we've done in the past.

Will the band be on the same page in picking a few songs to play at the ceremony?

Probably. We'll just pick the ones that are easiest.

--James Sullivan

R.E.M.ember us...

#29 09.03.2024 09:05

Berlin
Sugar Sweet

http://www.remhq.com/html/news/news.html?news_id=2413

R.E.M.ember us...

#30 09.03.2024 13:38

kati
BuckMaster

das nochmal aus der e-mail der warnerlist:

ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME TV SCHEDULE
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony will be broadcast live from the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel on VH1 Classic and MHD (MTV's new high-definition channel) on March 12, 2007, beginning at 8:30pm ET. AOL will feature the induction on demand commencing on March 13th. The full ceremony will air again on VH1 Classic and MHD on Friday, March 16th. An edited version will air in rotation on VH1, VH1 Classic and MHD beginning on Saturday, March 17th.

Be sure to tune in and watch R.E.M.'s performance and induction. Bill, Peter, Mike, and Michael will be inducted alongside Patti Smith, Van Halen, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, and The Ronettes. If you're in the Athens area, please be sure to stop by the Melting Point where our friends at Athensmusic.net are throwing a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame viewing party. The night gets started at 6:30pm and promises to be a lot of fun.

Beitrag geändert von kati (09.03.2024 13:39)

part lies, part heart, part truth, part garbage

@Kati: Ich wei�, ich wei�! Dein zweiter Vorname ist Ungeduld und der dritte Neugier!

#31 12.03.2024 12:41

Belong
King Of Comedy

Wann m�ssen wir denn heute nacht eigentlich aufstehen?
Haben die Amis nicht seit gestern Sommerzeit? Wenn es bei AOL also um 8PM losgeht, w�re das bei uns doch nachts um 1 Uhr, oder sehe ich das verkehrt... ?? *gr�bel*

... und hat irgendwer eine Ahnung, wie lange das Ganze dauern soll?

Beitrag geändert von Belong (12.03.2024 12:46)

#32 12.03.2024 13:45

Triple
Web-Seite

Yep, m�sste stimmen. In NY ist es jetzt 8:45, wenn das jemandem hilft. wink

Now let your mind do the walking.

#33 12.03.2024 15:16

BlueMoon
King Of Comedy

Belong schrieb:

Hmmm - n����. Aber ich denke mal unter 2 Stunden sicher nicht. Aber das interessiert mich eigentlich erst, wenn ich um 1 Uhr feststelle, dass ich es wirklich sehen kann und es nicht hei�t "Pech gehabt in Deutschland" bzw "sorry, the content is not available in your country"

Beitrag geändert von BlueMoon (12.03.2024 15:28)

"As a thinking person I'm completely in despair, but as a creature I'm quite happy."
Robyn Hitchcock

#34 12.03.2024 18:39

remmi
Man On The Moon

BlueMoon schrieb:

Belong schrieb:

Hmmm - n����. Aber ich denke mal unter 2 Stunden sicher nicht. Aber das interessiert mich eigentlich erst, wenn ich um 1 Uhr feststelle, dass ich es wirklich sehen kann und es nicht hei�t "Pech gehabt in Deutschland" bzw "sorry, the content is not available in your country"

Ich habe mal in Auftrag gegeben, dass mir das jemand aufnimmt. Ich hoffe, es klappt auch.
Laut R�ckmeldung soll das Ganze 4 Stunden MIT Werbung gehen.

#35 12.03.2024 19:39

Belong
King Of Comedy

remmi schrieb:

BlueMoon schrieb:

Belong schrieb:

Ich habe mal in Auftrag gegeben, dass mir das jemand aufnimmt. Ich hoffe, es klappt auch.
Laut R�ckmeldung soll das Ganze 4 Stunden MIT Werbung gehen.

Hm, rentiert sich ja fast nicht, danach nochmal ins Bett zu gehen... falls wir es denn �berhaupt sehen k�nnen. Ansonsten hoff ich halt darauf, das Event irgendwann mal bei murmurs runterladen zu k�nnen.

#36 13.03.2024 00:41

Michi
King Of Birds

Muss man sich bei AOL irgendwo registrieren, oder kann man sich das so unter oben genanntem Link angucken?
Bin mal gespannt, ob das funktioniert...

#37 13.03.2024 01:05

kati
BuckMaster

hast Du es irgendwo?

@Kati: Ich wei�, ich wei�! Dein zweiter Vorname ist Ungeduld und der dritte Neugier!

#38 13.03.2024 01:09

Michi
King Of Birds

N�, irgendwie habe ich das Gef�hl, dass das nix wird. Werde noch ne halbe Stunde herum probieren, falls es erst um halb los geht. Aber ich glaube, dass das nur in den USA dr�ben geht. Aber wer wei�, vielleicht klappt�s ja doch noch wink

Wenn man auf den "Blog" klickt kommt bei mir ne Fehlermeldung. Wahrscheinlich m�sste es da laufen. Bei dem angegebenen Link kommt nur die Vorschau

#39 13.03.2024 01:13

kati
BuckMaster

bei mir l�uft was, irgendwie ein Zusammenschnitt vergangener Zeremonien...
ich warte auch bis kurz nach halb zwei... ob es dann live losgeht

#40 13.03.2024 01:15

Michi
King Of Birds

Wenn man auf den hier genannten Link klickt, steht oben rechts so eine Zeile, die immer "durchwechselt". Da steht immer kurz was von LIVE! Watch the Rock Hall Show here at 8:30 ET. Das m�sste jetzt in 15 Minuten sein. Das w�re noch �ne Hoffnung.

#41 13.03.2024 01:17

kati
BuckMaster

genau, im moment bekommt man da einen knapp 15 min�tigen film der letzten 20 jahre, also das l�uft bei mir... bei dir auch?

#42 13.03.2024 01:19

Michi
King Of Birds

Ja, das habe ich auch gerade dran. Mal sehen, vielleicht schalten die von AOL die Live-Sendung da drauf. *hoff*

#43 13.03.2024 01:20

kati
BuckMaster

da hoff ich nat�rlich mit smile

#44 13.03.2024 01:21

Michi
King Of Birds

Aber wenn es klappen sollte, k�nnte es langwierig werden. Bei murmurs habe ich gerade gelesen, dass die Jungs zum Schluss dran kommen wink. Aber ohne Gew�hr wink

#45 13.03.2024 01:22

kati
BuckMaster

echt? na hoffentlich wird es kurzweilig...

#46 13.03.2024 01:34

Belong
King Of Comedy

Kann denn irgendwer irgendwas sehen? Bei mir kommt nur so eine d�mliche Fehlermeldung (... currently not available...) ??

#47 13.03.2024 01:36

kati
BuckMaster

ich seh immernoch die zusammenfassung (sie hat nochmal angefangen)
welchen link hast du?

#48 13.03.2024 01:36

Michi
King Of Birds

da hie� es noch irgendwas von second live... oder so. habe jetzt mal probiert das zu starten, aber irgendwie ist das sehr dubios...

also bei mir l�uft leider nix

#49 13.03.2024 01:39

Belong
King Of Comedy

Ich hab das Ganze nochmal zugemacht und bin unter dem bekannten Link neu rein. Da steht dann irgendwas von "Watch the live show", aber da kommt nur die Fehlermeldung...

#50 13.03.2024 01:42

kati
BuckMaster

das hab ich auch eben nochmal gemacht...
the clip is currently not available in your area

Brett Fußzeile